The primary function of the Foreclosure Legal Assistants are to assist their assigned attorneys with their day to day tasks, working assigned files, and providing status and file updates to clients via client sites or email. The assistant is expected to work closely with assigned attorneys to monitor assigned tasks and ensure that matters are being resolved timely and efficiently, escalating any issues as they arise.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Effectively work and manage assigned files. Primarily this will include researching dispute files to find resolutions to quickly and accurately resolve issues and responding to answers with simple affirmative defenses, qualified written requests, and fair debt disputes. Working to ensure that client, Firm, and court deadlines are met and that there are no areas of back-log. Request, follow up, and updated the Firm’s billing system with fees on billable contested matters.
- Prepare, notice, and schedule miscellaneous motions, as assigned. All motions must be processed within Firm, client, and court timeframes and with high accuracy. Research of court dockets and internal case notes must be conducted to ensure notice is sent to all proper parties. All tools available must be utilized to ensure that our Firm is receiving the next available date when scheduling our motions. Court results must be provided to the client within 24-48 hours of each hearing, or sooner, if a client requirement.
- Assist attorney(s) as needed, including but not limited, to: contacting Judge’s chambers, contacting opposing counsel, requesting miscellaneous documents from both internal and external sources, helping organize for court, researching files, attend court with attorney(s) when requested to help with large calls, miscellaneous clerical tasks, etc…
- Stay abreast of all assigned files and provide regular updates to clients as needed; via client sites or email. Continuously monitor assigned attorneys’ workload and ensure that they remain current on their assignments, alerting management of delays as they are discovered. Ensure that client sites are monitored daily and there are no overdue messages/processes for assigned files/department.
- Work on projects, as directed by your supervisor, manager, or assigned attorney.
Education & Work Experience
- Bachelor’s degree
- 2-3 years’ relevant legal work experience
- 3-4 years’ administrative experience; preferably in the legal field
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilites
- Possess strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills, thoroughness and exceptional attention to detail.
- Exhibit a strong sense of urgency and ability to prioritize issues.
- Strong teamwork orientation; willingness to work with others to meet common goals.
- Able to work independently and with minimal supervision, and consistently meet deadlines.
- Able to utilize creativity and available resources to effectively research and resolve problems.
- Demonstrate resourcefulness in solving problems quickly.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle a high volume of work.
- Familiarity with basic foreclosure laws and rules.
- High level of integrity.
- Demonstrate strong leadership skills
- Advance level skin in Microsoft Office/Suite (Excel, Word, etc.)
- Gather relevant information; consider broad range of issues and factors; perceive relationships among diverse information; and use logic effectively
- Able to clearly and concisely communicate information and messages to others. Ensure that the messages the sender intends to have received by others are the same as the ones that are actually received
- Setting efficient work priorities; working on several tasks simultaneously; effectively balancing important and urgent – and short-term and longer-term –tasks
- Developing comprehensive project plans; monitoring progress against goals; assigning clear responsibilities; and breaking work down into manageable portions
- Is forward thinking and able to use creativity, probing, and research skills. Is flexible and innovative in utilizing methods and resources. Is not wedded to a specific approach while staying within Firm established policies and procedures and remains open minded to ideas and approaches of collaborators.
- Following plans through to closure, persisting despite obstacles; keeping their word with scrupulous integrity
- Making timely and effective decisions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit, talk, or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms, and stoop, kneel, or crouch The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job: Normal office working conditions, with quiet to moderate noise level within the work environment
We offer a comprehensive compensation package, which includes a salary commensurate with experience and accomplishments.
If you possess the requisite qualifications, and are seeking the challenge of working in a growing firm, please submit your resume in confidence.
All applicants applying for U.S. job openings must be authorized to work in the United States.
Because of the high volume of calls received, only qualified candidates will be contacted for consideration.